What is work experience?
- Work shadowing is an informal type of work experience where you observe someone in their role to understand how they do their job.
- This is usually short term– aimed at providing an insight rather than hands on experience.
- Virtual Work Experience - live, online opportunity to hear from employers.
Why do we provide work experience?
Going into a particular work environment to find out a little more about the profession you are interested in.
- Provide motivation for exams in the future
- May cause a change in your career path
- May help with applications to University (UCAS forms) / Jobs
The benefit of work experience
1. Raise pupils’ aspirations by
- Broadening individuals’ horizons
and increasing their knowledge and understanding of the available opportunities in employment.
2. Raise levels of motivation and achievement by:
- Promoting the development and self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Relating learning and curriculum content to future opportunities including the world of work.
- Helping pupils to develop skills associated with success in education, training and employment.
- Helping pupils to develop the skills and flexibility needed to manage changing career opportunities.
- Challenging occupational stereotypes.
- Explore options they may not have considered or had assumed would not be open to them.
What year group does it involve?
- Yr 13 A) face to face experiences - mainly occurs in June
- Yr 13 B) virtual placements - occurs throughout the year. Faciliated in the Careers HUB which allows this to occur during school time.
- Yr14 – Generally placements for students who require experience for UCAS who have previously missed this in the past year (limited face to face placements and virtual experiences. Autumn term only)
- Yr12 – some opportunities but there is an age restriction on many companies
What are the steps undertaken to secure a work experience?
- Parental Consent forms signed (one combined form) - To be returned to form teacher (or Mr Laird)
- Student phones placements (see list attached) Or school applies for specific areas (see attached sheet)
- Deadlines for work experience
- Hospital based workshops and work experience - Early September
- School applications (specific companies) – Before Halloween
- Pupil organised placements – Completed indemnity /insurance forms to be signed and returned mid term of Spring term (mid February)
- Register on the speakers for schools website
- Search and apply for placement
- Mr Laird / Mrs Skuce will verify the application
- A link will be sent to your email
- Virtual Placements during school time will take place in the Careers HUB
The industries / organisations that help us provide this for our pupils?
The areas of careers used in the past include:
This only a guide and phone numbers and contact names will change through time
Below is a list of the general areas of work experienced in the past
Remote work experience during Covid-19 pandemic
Please click the buttons to view the pieces of information